Friday, July 27, 2012

Blow torch heat & a near tornado, Wednesday, July 25, Webster City to Marshalltown

Another hot day, another long ride for Jeff, another long drive for Jill.  I dropped Jeff off in Webster City to meet the pack and went back to the hotel to read, do a little work, whatever and ended up taking a nap instead.  I never nap, ever, and it was even funnier that my nap started at 7AM.  I checked out of the hotel the last minute possible and drive on down to Ames, our next over night town.  I got totally lost finding the hotel, which I also never do.  The hotel was right off the interstate, way to obvious, but I knew I was off track when I reached yet another corn field.

Jeff's ride was uneventfull, everyone bitching about the wind from the day before.  One guy said it was the worst day of his cycling life and I'm sure Jeff would agree.  The heat is close to unbearable to me eventhough the weather kid on the news says the temp is now down to the upper 90's-HA, I don't believe it one bit.

We lazed around a bit, caught some of the Olympic women's soccer games, and then off to dinner at the same brew pub we ate at last year.  All was well until we drove back to the hotel with a storm a brewin'.  It was getting dark but the huge dark clouds were obvious, scary, and dust swirling all around.  We made it to the hotel parking lot as the wind really picked up and the rain was pelting down by then. Almost to the lobby door, the wind knocked Jeff's glasses off his face, and I swear I was swept off my feet, and not in a romantic way.  My plus size t-shirt blew up, exposing who knows what, and for a few seconds I thought I was going to be like the flying cow in the "Twister" movie.  We got inside, settled for a few minutes, and then Jeff and one of the nice kid hotel employees went out to look for Jeff's glasses.  They actually found them, with one lense missing.  Lots of hubbub for a few hours.  I just prayed the air conditioning would not go out.  We were grateful to be in a hotel and not with the 10,000 campers in Marshalltown.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment