Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The wind is not a bicyclist's friend-Tuesday, July 24, Lake View to Webster City

Long day ahead for the third day on the route.  Jeff took off from Lake View around 6:30.  I meandered my way to Farnhamville and got into town around 8AM.  I was surprised at the number of riders already at the meeting town.  Either they left Lake View at 5 or they ride really, really fast.  I had my annual piece of Iowa pie-strawberry rhubarb, buttery crust and all, and then plunked it down to watch the riders come in.  The weather was a bit overcast, fairly cool, everyone in great spirits.  Jeff rolled in around 9:30, we had mango smoothies with whey protein (to make us feel healthy before the afternoon beers), sat in the shade for a short rest, Jeff worried about the wind that was kicking up. 


Off he went & I headed up to Fort Dodge, our next overnight.  It was a short drive for me, a little early to check into the hotel, so I stopped to read at a Perkins and have an iced tea.  Jeff called, laughing, said the head wind was terrible and he had only ridden about 10 miles in an hour and a half, and to plan on a long day.  By this time the clouds were gone and the temp was headed to the upper 90's.  I called Jeff around 2:30 to see if he was still alive and to find out where he was on the route.  He was still laughing somewhat, or he was delirious, said he really didn't know where he was and they were just pushing ahead.  That was my cue to have beer on ice and a fresh jar of peanuts by the time we met in Webster City.  The wind was really rocking the car as I drove east.  I can't even imagine how hard the ride must have been.  Town was all jazzed up with roads closed for the riders, train tracks, and one way streets.  I wound my way around town to find where the riders were coming into town, and by God, I had just gotton out of the car to a shady corner, and there came Jeff down the hill.  We have a very uncanny way of finding each others.  He appreciated the cold beer.  9 hours and 85 miles of riding today!  His new bike monitor (we're calling it the GSP because we don't really know what it's called) has calculated that Jeff has expended 11,500 calories so far on the ride!  I've driven over 400 miles and have expended 0 calories, if anyone is keeping track.   

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad. I've expended the exact same amount of calories reading your blog!

    I'm pretty sure that I would have turned to dust and been blown away by the wind if I had expended as many calories as Jeff.

    Ride On!

    ReplyDelete